I love challenges and I love cupcakes, so I was super excited when I found out about the 2016 Earth Balance cupcake challenge! The rules are pretty simple, just submit an original 100% vegan cupcake recipe using a minimum of one Earth Balance product.
This challenge was a challenge because developing new recipes is never easy and because I had so many ideas that I wanted to make. Last week I was having dreams about this amazing lemon loaf I made last year and this week a friend of ours gave us some lemons from her tree; so my mind just couldn’t get lemons out of it, and I had my heart set on making a new version of my lemon loaf as cupcakes but then I was having a crazy chocolate craving, so I decided my recipe had to be chocolate based. Usually new recipes take me a few rounds to perfect but these Triple Chocolate Cupcakes needed no adjustments the first time around!
Be prepared because you’re going to be bombarded with photos in this post, because, well, just because. But seriously these cupcakes taste as good as they look, and they are simple to make and vegan!
This recipe calls for Earth Balance vegan butter spread for both the cupcake and the icing – I used the Organic version, but any version should work!
These cupcakes are dairy, egg, and nut free. I used soy milk in the icing, and you can easily substitute with rice or coconut milk based on your preference. These cupcakes are so delicious, so moist & topped with a frosting that’s not too sweet (well maybe it’s a tad sweet with all of the chocolate!)
Triple chocolate means super chocolatey…
More photos for your enjoyment. Sometimes I wished we could just eat through the screen – I’m sure one day it might be that easy, and when it does I’m never leaving the house!
Here are a couple of tips when making these:
- when adding in the chocolate syrup you can use a knife or toothpick and gently swirl throughout the batter
- drizzle the chocolate syrup on top just before serving
Back to the Earth Balance contest…. the grand prize is a trip to Colorado to film the winner making their recipe! How fun would it be to share this recipe with you “in person.” The award consists of two round-trip plane tickets to Denver, Colorado; a two nights hotel stay; a $1,500 Visa gift card; $50 gift card to BeetBox Bakery; a $75 gift card to Leaf Vegetarian Restaurant; and a year’s supply of Earth Balance® (12 VIP Coupons)! What a great prize and a perfect excuse for our family to check out Colorado as we’ve never been.
Without further adieu, here’s how to create this amazing Vegan Triple Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegan mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
- 4 tablespoons vegan chocolate syrup (Ah!laska)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy milk (plus more as necessary)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
- 5 tablespoons vegan chocolate syrup (Ah!laska)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the Earth Balance vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the vinegar, vanilla, and water. Add the flour mixture and beat well.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Drizzle 1/3 tablespoon of chocolate syrup on top of each cupcake. Gently stir into the batter with a knife or toothpick.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cream Earth Balance vegan butter and pinch of salt on medium speed, about 2 minutes.
- Add confectioners’ sugar about 1/2 cup a time, beating after each addition.
- Add soy milk and vanilla extract and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Top cupcakes with icing, then sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- This recipe will make 12 cupcakes or 8x8 inch cake.
Hope you enjoy the recipe and don’t forget to vote for your favorite Earth Balance Cupcake Challenge recipe here (click on “Gallery”)… and look for my Vegan Triple Chocolate Cupcakes – and hit the like buttons on their photo! (Thanks!)
Wish me luck!