My daughter and I were recently visiting family back on the East Coast and my niece didn’t want a traditional birthday cake, but instead a donut cake. Sadly, finding egg-free donuts is not an easy thing to do, so we made my daughter her own safe batch for the party and brought one along for her. Everyone was in awe of how good hers looked compared to the store-bought kind and we were both so happy at how delicious they turned out!
Fast forward a couple of weeks and my daughter and I were both craving donuts, so I told her I would make another safe batch for her this week. We were out picking lemons in our backyard to make teacher appreciation gifts (lemon loaves,) and a lightbulb went off and I thought about creating a lemon donut…. and this amazing recipe was developed, tested, tasted… and devoured.
I had no idea how delicious this would turn out. It is the perfect donut for spring and summer. Topped with a glaze, sprinkles optional, this donut is a great allergy-friendly option for your family, containing no eggs, dairy, or nuts.
Back to lemon picking… after coming inside the house I put my thinking cap on I decided it was time to do some experimenting in the kitchen. For this recipe I finally tried my hand at aquafaba and it worked marvelously in this recipe, and I can’t wait to use it again in other recipes.
If you aren’t sure what aquafaba is, basically it is the liquid that is found in with a can of chickpeas. Aquafaba makes a great vegan egg substitute in baked goods and to make it you’ll need a hand or stand mixer — so this is where the mixer and giveaway comes in… so following the recipe you’ll see that I have joined forces with 20 food blogger friends to put together a giveaway for a brand new KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-Qt stand mixer in your choice of color!
After you enter the giveaway it is time for you to make these delicious baked vegan lemon donuts – I promise you won’t be disappointed.
These donuts went quick in our home and even if you don’t need to eat egg free or aren’t a vegan, I promise you’ll love these donuts too!
Okay… time to stop salivating and time to learn more about that giveaway I mentioned above. After the recipe you’ll get all the details for the KitchenAid stand mixer giveaway and how to enter. The giveaway will end on May 26, 2018 and I would love for you to leave a comment with the first thing you’d make if you were the winner of this stand mixer? This giveaway is brought to you by some of these awesome bloggers:
Grab the recipe for these delicious donuts here:
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk (or non-dairy milk of your choice.)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat White Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Cup Cane Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Confectioners Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degree fahrenheit.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine coconut milk and 1 tbsp lemon juice and stir. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a mixer prepare the aquafaba by beating the chickpea liquid until soft peaks form. This will take a few minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the sugar, vanilla extract, maple syrup, coconut oil, lemon zest and remainder lemon juice.
- Add wet mixture and whipped aquafaba into large bowl (dry ingredients.)
- Combine and stir.
- Scoop prepared batter into donut pan and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- While donuts are baking prepare glaze by stirring together the confectioners sugar and lemon juice.
- Donuts are done when golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow donuts to cool on a wire rack. Turn over pan onto rack after 5 minutes of cooling.
- After donuts are completely cool dip into glaze. Sprinkles are optional!
- These donuts are best eaten the same day. If you want to make a day ahead I advise to glaze prior to serving.
Here are the details for the KitchenAid stand mixer giveaway:
- 1 winner will receive a KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-Qt stand mixer in their choice of color. If the winner is from the continental U.S. they will receive the mixer directly. If the winner is from elsewhere, they will receive an Amazon gift card for the list price of the mixer.
- The giveaway will end on May 26, 2018 at 11:59 PM. Any entries made after this point will be invalid. A winner will be drawn at random and emailed within 72 hours to claim the prize. If no response is received, a new winner will be drawn.
- You must complete the mandatory Instagram follows as listed below in order to enter. You can complete additional Instagram follows as listed below to gain more entries. You may only enter with one Instagram account. If you enter using multiple account, all entries will be invalid.
- Giveaway is open worldwide, except where prohibited. You must be 18+ (21+ in some locations) to win. Chances of winning depend on the number of entries we receive.
- For a complete list of terms and conditions, please see the link below via the Rafflecopter giveaway widget.
This giveaway is not sponsored by KitchenAid, Amazon, Instagram, or Facebook. The following bloggers have made this giveaway possible:
The PinterTest Kitchen • Shockingly Delicious • The Baking Fairy • Sweet + Savor • Makes, Bakes and Decor • Cindy’s Recipes and Writings • Blogghetti • The Simple Supper • Chef Sarah Elizabeth • Cheese Curd In Paradise • This is How I Cook • The Redhead Baker • Fix Me a Little Lunch • Moore or Less Cooking • Sarah Cooks the Books • The Spiffy Cookie • Busy Bee Kate • Missy’s Views and Savings Clues • Seasoned Sprinkles • Long Distance Baking • Jonesin’ For Taste • 2 Cookin Mamas • Karen’s Kitchen Stories • MyStyleSpot.net