Raise your hand if you love giant bakery style cookies! I know I do but when you have food restrictions, allergies, or want to avoid animal products it can often be hard to walk into a bakery and find something that is safe for you to eat.
Since my daughter has food allergies it’s hard for us to find a bakery that we feel safe going to. I created this recipe with that in mind and my daughter was so excited to visit “Kate’s Bakery.” (And for those of you asking I will be putting up a simple tutorial on how to make these fun little bakery-style sleeves soon, I promise!)
This recipe is dairy, egg, soy, and nut free. It does contain wheat and gluten.
Since we don’t manage a wheat allergy or celiacs in my immediate family I tend to use a lot of whole wheat flour in our baking, as I did with these. Hence why they look a little darker then if you would use traditional white flour. I have made the recipe using both and they are both just as delicious.
This recipe makes about a dozen cookies. When placing the dough on the baking sheet I used about 1/4 cup of dough for each cookie. Objects appear larger in person.
These cookies can be made with chocolate chips or chunks. I have a soft spot for the Enjoy Life Foods Chocolate Chunks which are vegan and nut free, but feel free to pair with your favorite chocolate chips as well.
You’ll also want to pair these with your favorite dairy-free milk! And while these are giant I may or may not admit to eating two of them in one sitting 🙂
Grab the recipe below, have fun opening up your own bakery, and let me know how you like them!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I have used coconut and almond)
- 1 (10 ounce) package (Enjoy Life) chocolate chunk chips
- Preheat your oven to 375°.
- In a medium blow, combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, and baking soda) and stir well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and milk. Beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture a 1/2 cup at a time. Mix on low speed until well blended.
- Fold in chocolate chunk chips by hand until they are evenly distributed.
- Spoon your cookie dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. To make the larger cookies I used a 1/4 cup of dough for each.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges.
- Cool on wire racks.
- I used Earth Balance for butter, if you don't need to be dairy free you can use regular butter.
- For milk you can use your preferred milk.
- If you want to make smaller cookies adjust baking time to 10 minutes.