Could you go a day without eating wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, and shellfish?
When I posed this question to some of my friends and relatives they all seemed to agree that going a day without those 8 foods would be pretty hard. But did you know that 90% of food allergies are from these 8 foods?
Now, that doesn’t mean that all individuals who have food allergies are allergic to them all. For instance, (of these foods) my friends daughter is allergic to wheat, dairy, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts and she just outgrew her egg allergy. My daughter is allergic to dairy, eggs, soy, and peanuts.
And that other 10% – well that can be just about any food you can think of. I know children who are allergic to food dyes, corn, fruits, other legumes, certain vegetables… just about anything.
With the hopes of spreading awareness and educating the public about food allergies I am challenging you to see if you could you eliminate these top 8 foods from your diet for a day? If not for a day could you do it for one meal?
Before I share the rules of the top 8 free challenge (there really is only one rule,) I wanted to first share some other facts that you may not know about food allergies:
– 1 in 13 children has a food allergy. That’s two in every classroom!
– Every 3 min, a food allergy reaction sends someone to the ER – that’s more than 200,000 visits per year.
– Symptoms of food allergies may range from mild to severe and they may come on suddenly or develop over several hours.
– Food allergies can begin at any age and affect children and adults of all races and ethnicity.
– According to a study released in 2013 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, food allergies among children increased approximately 50% between 1997 and 2011. (source: foodallergy.org)
Here are the rule
s for the Top 8 Free Challenge happening this Friday, August 8th:
1) On Friday, August 8th, do not eat any wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, and shellfish products. You can choose to take the challenge for the entire day or for just one meal.
Be sure to read the labels on your foods for hidden ingredients. If you’re not sure what an ingredient is or if it falls into one of these top 8 foods, please visit the ” How to Read a Label for… ” pages on the Kids with Food Allergies site.
Share your challenge experience on twitter, facebook,, instagram, and pinterest using the hashtag #top8freechallenge.
Take the TOP 8 FREE CHALLENGE with me this Friday 8/8! Let’s raise food allergy awareness together!
Waiver: By choosing to take part in the Top 8 Free Challenge, you acknowledge that you understand the activities and risks involved in participating. We do not suggest taking the Top 8 Free Challenge for more than one day without dietary advice. If you have any health conditions that may be affected by diet changes, please check with your doctor before taking the challenge.