Today I am sharing a simple recipe with a delicious twist using udon noodles from JSL Foods. By combining Japanese udon noodles with Southwestern spices and beans you make a hearty soup which is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
I recently saw information on JSL Foods hosting a recipe contest using their udon noodles and I decided it would be a fun challenge to join! JSL Foods Fortune makes a variety of foods including udon noodles which are quick and easy to use. The noodles (without the packets) are vegan, and they come with three different flavor packets: original, chicken, mushroom (packet is also vegan). For this recipe I made it dairy, egg and nut free and used the chicken flavor pack of noodles.
These noodles are so easy and quick to use and you can have yourself a delicious meal without a lot of effort. For a busy Mom like me that’s a win in my book! Just add in your favorite protein, veggie and spice choices and you have a simple meal tailored to your likes.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s pretty much unexpected but it is a wonderful soup or your taste buds combining the Japanese udon noodles with the southwestern spices and beans. It makes for a great soup on a chilly day.
With corn, peppers, beans, cumin, and topped with your favorite Mexican cheese (or in my case vegan Mexican cheese,) and tortilla strips, it doesn’t call for any hard-to-find ingredients. You could also add in some tomatoes or pair with some salsa on the side!
Grab this delicious recipe below and leave a comment if you make it!
- 1/2 lb. beef steak
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (canola or your preferred)
- 1 (14 oz) can of beef broth (lower sodium or your preferred)
- 1/4 cup diced peppers
- 1/4 cup of corn
- 1/4 cup black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/8 cup of diced onions
- 1 packet of udon noodles
- Cut beef into strips and season with cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil and onions into skillet over medium heat.
- Add seasoned beef to skillet, cook for approximately 5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add peppers, corn, and beans to skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add noodles and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- (Optional) top with (vegan) mexican cheese.
- (Optional) top with tortilla strips.