Recently when we went on vacation to Disneyland with my niece she kept talking about apple strudel muffins that my Mom baked and dropped off with them the previous week. I haven’t had those apple strudel muffins in about a year… and I remember how amazing these were growing up as a child.
When we arrived home from vacation I asked my Mom for the recipe and was really excited to make them for my family. When my Mom makes them she uses eggs, so I needed to tweak the recipe to adjust for our food allergies.
Our first batch came out delicious and had the whole house smelling amazing.
The adjustments I used for these include a mix of applesauce and Ener-G egg replacer. Muffins can be a little more forgiving then cookies and I think these would work well also using applesauce in place of the original two eggs the recipe calls for.
For the apple variety I used a mix of the apples we had in the house, Granny Smith and Gala. For these I think any mix would do well and I’ll be baking them again using different varieties after we go apple picking this weekend.
These muffins are a perfect for Fall and are great for breakfast or dessert.
Very moist and full of plenty of flavor. Give them a try and let me know how you like them!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 Ener-G egg replacer
- 1 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup cut apple (1 cup shredded, 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tblsp. flour
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tblsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease or cupcake line 12 count cupcake pan.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat together butter, sugar, applesauce, and egg replacer until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla. Stir in apples, and gradually blend in flour mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin pan.
- In a small bowl mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter to form course crumbles. Sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes and until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins 5 minutes in pan then move to wire rack.