Disclosure: I applied to participate in the Golden Girl Granola blogger challenge and received Golden Girl Granola for free. My opinions are my own and I was not paid or required to write this review or create this recipe.
I can’t believe this is the third year that I am participating in the Golden Girl Granola blogger challenge! Where does time go! Two years ago I entered in a recipe for Slow Cooker Home Sweet Honey Peach Granola Crumble and last year I entered a recipe for Vegan Bluesberry Granola Pancakes. While I didn’t win either of those challenges I had a ton of fun and like they always say, third time is a charm! The winner get free granola for a year, so I would really love to win this challenge!
This year the rules were to create a “summertime snack” with one of their varieties of granola. I chose their Original flavor and decided to turn the loose granola into the top and bottom of ice cream sandwiches, adding vanilla ice cream in between with a toasted marshmallow. To top it off I added sprinkles (in pink, because, well why not,) as the finishing touch. I present to you Granola Ice Cream Sandwiches with Toasted Marshmallows!
O.M.G. was this just A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. What a snack turned out to be!
This recipe is peanut free, egg free, gluten free, wheat free. It does contain almonds and can be dairy-free using your choice of dairy-free ice cream.
The Original granola mix is a hearty blend of sliced almonds, coconut, and raw wildflower honey with a delicious crunch. The ingredients are:
- rolled oats
- non-GMO/expeller-pressed canola oil
- sea salt
Marshmallows just remind me of summer. All that ooey gooey goodness in s’mores just brings me back to my childhood. You can toast the marshmallows over the stove, in the oven, or on the grill. It’s up to you! They add an extra touch of flavor and really do put the final touches on these ice cream sandwiches.
The recipe for this is pretty simple which I feel all summertime snacks should be! Perfect for when it’s too hot to cook and you’re looking for a simple snack or treat for the kids. This is great for those lazy days spent by the pool or after a long day at the beach (these can be made ahead of time and freeze well. Just add the marshmallows on prior to serving, meaning don’t freeze those marshmallows – have you ever had a frozen marshmallow? Eww.)
Raise your hand if you have a major sweet tooth! This recipe is for you!
- 2 cups of Golden Girl Original Granola
- 1/2 cup of honey (maple syrup or brown rice syrup would work as well)
- 2 cups of your favorite vanilla ice cream
- 4 large marshmallows (additional ones for the side are optional as well)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Line a 8" x 8" pan with parchment paper.
- Mix granola and honey in a medium bowl.
- Press mixture down into pan. Be sure to really pack the mixture down, I like to use the back of a measuring cup to help with this.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and cut into squares. (this will make 9 squares and you'll need 8 to make 4 sandwiches.) Put the remaining square aside (you'll use this for crumbling atop the sandwiches.)
- Take one square and add ice cream atop (use as much or as little as you'd like, I'm not judging!) Place a second square atop the ice cream and press down.
- Dip ice cream sides into sprinkles (again, this is optional.)
- Repeat process for remaining squares (will make 4 sandwiches.)
- Place sandwiches into freezer so they don't melt!
- While they are setting up, toast your marshmallows. You can do this over the stove, oven or grill. I did them in a small pan atop the stove on very low heat and turned them many times. This worked well, just takes a little patience and very low heat.
- Remove marshmallows from heat.
- Remove sandwiches from the freezer.
- Place a toasted marshmallow atop each sandwich.
- Sprinkle with a 1/4 of the remaining granola square and additional sprinkles.
- Serve immediately.
- Use your safe ice cream - dairy free or non-dairy free.