May, it’s here, finally… after what seemed like a never ending winter, summer is on the horizon and it’s time for gardening, barbecues, and enjoying the outdoors. May is one of my favorite months (aside from the seasonal allergies it brings,) and this week I’m featuring my five favorite things May brings for the weekly link-up party with The World Around Her and Little Miss Momma.
1. Mother’s Day! I celebrated my first Mother’s Day last year when my little one was just over a month old and spent mostof the day with her in my arms napping together on the sofa. This year I am looking forward to being more active and spending the day with her by venturing outside for some of our favorite activities. Locally there is a carousel that has been restored and on Mother’s Day they offer free rides for Moms. We both loved the carousel when we went for my birthday and cannot wait to share this experience with her again.
2. Since I live in Pennsylvania the rule of thumb around here is not to do any major vegetable planting until after Mother’s Day because of the chance of frost. Typically the weekend before Mother’s Day my hubby and I will till the garden, mix in new soil and nutrients and layout our plans for what we want to plant. Last year we tried some new crops including sweet potatoes (yummy!) brussel sprouts (for my Mom- yuck!) and asparagus. Although we didn’t have much success with the asparagus since it needs a couple of seasons to mature, we hope to try it again this year.
3. We all know the phrase- April showers bring May flowers- and wow, did we have showers this week. I love nature and the beauty of flowers that I am surrounded by. This Spring I have a visit to Longwood Gardens on my list of things to do, they have 240,000 spring bulbs in bloom and is a breathtaking collection to see. Also with the flowers in bloom that means my bees are happy!
4. With the weather becoming a little warmer and less rainy May is the perfect time to switch your workouts outdoors. I love walking, running, biking, and tennis – and plan to do more of those activities this Spring. My sister-n-law lent me her jogging stroller which I’ve been mostly using for walking so I’m using May as the month to get back into running with it. My daughter seems to enjoy the sites outside just as much as I do and is a great way to teach her about being active. May is also National Bike Month in the United States, so time to dust off those pedals and get moving!
5. The unofficial start of Summer! Memorial Day is officially celebrated on the last Monday during the month of May and is dedicated to service men and women who gave their lives for freedom and country. Memorial Day also marks the unofficial beginning of the summer seasons, even though summer will not occur until a few weeks later and it usually includes the first family picnic or barbecue of the year.
What are some of your favorite things to do in May? Do you spend more time outdoors this month?