My husband and I recently talked about doing a bit more cooking, and although I love to bake, I’m much less of a cook, but I also have been getting bored with our usual meals so I decided I’d like to learn how to cook little better (and more efficiently) for the family.
My main beef (no pun intended) that I have with cooking is that I usually feel like I have to give it my undivided attention for more than 20 minutes which is hard for me in general and then throw a toddler into the mix and it puts me at my limit.
Since I want to provide healthy meals, and free of our allergens, I took to the ‘net to find some inspiration, and I was just amazed at some of the wonderful one dish dinner meal recipes I found. Using the below five recipes as my inspiration I took to cooking more and I’m sharing them for this weeks five things link-up with The World Around Her and Little Miss Mama!
I also started allowing myself a little more time to do the prep work for meals – usually during my daughters nap time – and enjoyed the process a little more as I was also excited about trying something new and how my husband and daughter would react.
As an added bonus all of these one dish dinners exclude the Top 8 allergy foods too!
Leave a comment with a link to your favorite one dish dinner, I’d love to add some additional recipes into our mix!
1. I love fajitas, they are one of my go-to ordering options when I visit a Mexican restaurant so I love having an easy way to make them at home using this Easy Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas recipe. They cook in one dish in the oven and great for busy evenings and the dish can be made ahead of time and frozen. We skip the Greek Yogurt in our home, and if you’re gluten-free make sure to pick up your favorite GF tortillas (like these from Rudi’s.)
2. Did someone say healthy pizza in a casserole?! This Pizza Quinoa Casserole is a great, healthy alternative to a pizza pie. We eat quinoa about once a week in our family and I have been searching out recipes like this to incorporate it more into our diet. You can also add pepperoni, Italian sausage, and green peppers (or any other meat or veggies you’d like) to it. This is a great one-dish meal perfectly served with a side salad. To make your dairy-free make sure you are choosing a diary-free cheese – our go-to cheese for pizza is Daiya Mozzarella-style shreds.
3. We tend to eat a lot of chicken in our house and my usual method of steaming it gets to be a little boring for us. I love this Lemon-Thyme Roasted Chicken with Fingerlings recipe because it’s fast and adds some great flavor. I pair it with a side of steamed broccoli or salad to complete the meal.
4. I wasn’t sure how this could be made in one dish, but I gave it a try and this Spinach Turkey Meatball Pasta dish is fabulous! I love a good pasta meal occasionally and this one hits the spot. My recommendation is to use the Tikyada rice pasta, which is a staple in our home.
5. My daughter loves Pork and I am starting to enjoy it more myself. This recipe for Pork Roast with Sweet Potatoes, Apples and Onions is really great and takes just about an hour to cook. This help satisfy my taste for both salty and sweet, and any dish with sweet potatoes is a win in my book.