Hold onto your bunny ears folks, these coconut cream eggs are one delicious and allergy-friendly Easter treat that you and your family will love! And they are nut, egg, soy, and gluten free and with one easy substitute they can be made dairy free too.
They are super easy to make, allergy friendly and so tasty – so get on hopping to your local grocery store for the ingredients to make these before the bunny comes to town!
The ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are:
– Powdered (10x) Sugar
– Shredded Coconut
– Coconut Milk (canned)
– Butter (or if you have a dairy allergy use Earth Balance)
– Chocolate (for coating) – I love Enjoy Life, but you can use any kind of chocolate you prefer – milk, dark or semi. Since the inside of the egg is pretty sweet I think semi works the best.
Also that that most coconut cream eggs call for evaporated milk and I found the coconut milk worked great. If you want to another recipe be sure to note that the coconut milk is not a 1-1 substitute ratio for the evaporated milk. Coconut milk is much thinner than evaporated milk.
There are just two easy steps to making these.
The first step is to combine all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
You can make a couple adjustments based on your tastes. I like coconut but I don’t love it, so I prefer to go lighter on the coconut. Also if you choose a more moister coconut – this one pictured, Let’s Do Organic, is much drier than the sweetened versions, than you can use less of the coconut milk.
After mixing all the ingredients together well, form the mixture into egg shapes, cover with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator.
I chose to make three eggs with my batch. You could easily make one large egg or any number that you’d like.
After the eggs have chilled for at least an hour in the refrigerator (or overnight, whichever you prefer,) melt the chocolate over the stove or microwave until smooth. Remove the eggs from the refrigerator and coat them with the chocolate.
Making these eggs brought back memories as I grew up helping my Mom in the kitchen making homemade Easter eggs just like this with a fairly similar recipe that I learned in Kindergarden. I still remember my Kindergarden teacher, Ms. Mickle, and the fun projects and recipes we used to make in her room!
There are no fancy gadgets that you’ll need to make these either. The molding into the egg shape is so easy and all done by hand.
Don’t forget, these coconut cream eggs are nut, egg, soy, and gluten free and with one easy substitute they can be made dairy free too.
You can also add additional sugar designs on the top of get a little more fancy with the decorations, but I figured these guys had enough sugar inside them that I was fine with using simple hand painted picks. I am just in love with how cute the picks turned out and my daughter is going to love them too!
- 1 lb. Powdered (10x) Sugar
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1/4 Cup of Coconut Milk (canned)
- 6 Tablespoons of Butter (or if you have a dairy allergy use Earth Balance)
- Dash of Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup of Chocolate (semi or your preferred)
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Let the eggs chill for at least an hour in the refrigerator (or overnight, whichever you prefer,) in the refrigerator.
- Melt chocolate over the stove or microwave until smooth.
- Remove the eggs from the refrigerator and coat them with the chocolate.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.
- Slice and enjoy!
- You can easily make adjustments based on your tastes.
- This recipe can easily be doubled.