I recently shared a new delicious allergy-friendly chocolate cake recipe earlier this week and decided to make my equally delicious (and also allergy-friendly) buttercream frosting to top it off; and my sharing that recipe with you today!
Doesn’t it look just yummy?!
This is my go-to frosting, it’s simple to make and reminds me of my childhood when I would be sure to be the first one in line to lick the mixer and bowl as soon as my Mom gave me the go ahead.
For this recipe feel free to substitute the vanilla extract for another flavoring of your choice, such as lemon juice, orange juice, almond extract or mint extract. Also, this recipe does well halved or doubled.
Makes 2 and 1/2 cups
- 1 cup (your preferred choice of) butter or margarine (I use Earth Balance soy-free)
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 2 T. plain unsweetened (your preferred choice of) milk (almond, soy, coconut) (I use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
- 1 T. plain (your preferred choice of) yogurt (almond, soy, coconut) (I use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Yogurt)
1. In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, cream the butter / margarine until fluffy, or for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the confectioners sugar gradually, beating at a low speed until combined.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, and beat on high until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
I recommend chilling the frosting slightly before using (and, as always make sure the cake is completely cool before frosting.)
**Please note: this recipe is suitable for persons with allergies or dietary restrictions, but, as with any recipe, make sure to read all nutritional labels carefully to make sure that there are no hidden ingredients with which you are allergic to**
Next week I’m going to be sharing my go-to vanilla cake recipe which, just like the chocolate cake I recently made, is perfect with this frosting!