I call these amazing fudge bars because they are just that, amazing. These bars (or squares since I forgot I was gonna cut this batch into bars,) are vegan and free of eggs, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. They do need to chill overnight (or about 8 hours) in the refrigerator prior to serving, so keep that in mind.
Recently we were invited to a friends house for a party and when invited to parties I usually volunteer to bring a dish and a dessert. This way I know that we all can safely enjoy the party while enjoying a meal that is safe and allergy-friendly to eat, and since we all love dessert I make sure to bring that as well.
Since it was a fairly large crowd, four families, invited to the party, I decided to go with “some sort of” bars and brownies for the desserts. My friend was going to make crispy rice treats, so I figured the chocolate brownies would be a good addition and the “some sort of” bars as well.
These are a take on magic bars, which I loved a child. They don’t include the nuts or coconut flakes and have an amazing fudgey middle that everyone is sure to enjoy.
Since my family has food allergies and also two other kids who were attending the party do as well, I made sure to make them allergy-friendly. For us this means no eggs, no dairy, no peanuts; and no tree nuts for the other children. We are all okay with coconut (which the FDA considers a tree nut,) and also okay with wheat/gluten. If you suffer from a wheat/gluten allergy I recommended subbing out the flour for an all-purpose blend.
Typically the recipe will make about 9 bars or squares. I decided to double the recipe (using a larger pan) for the larger crowd, and after tasting them I decided I didn’t need to make brownies in addition to these. These were amazing enough.
And since there was only so much room on the tray to fit these bars it meant that I was able to keep a few for us at home. My daughter and I kept reaching for them the next day and they were devoured quickly. Almost too quickly to admit.
Grab this amazing recipe below, which is vegan ~ free from eggs and dairy and also free from peanuts and tree nuts (except coconut) ~ and comment below if you give them a try!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (vegan) butter
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet (vegan) chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup canned condensed (coconut) milk
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease and 8x8" pan.
- Using a food processor or blender, add in flour, butter, sugar, and salt, and pulse until crumbly.
- Remove 1 cup of mixture and set aside (for use as the top later.)
- Press remaining mixture into prepared pan.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently.
- Once chips are completely melted remove mixture from heat.
- Pour chocolate filling over unbaked crust in prepared pan.
- Sprinkle remainder of crust atop of chocolate filling mixture.
- Place pan into oven for 35-40 minutes until top crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled completely cover with foil or plastic wrap and place into refrigerator overnight or for 8 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and using a sharp knife, cut into 2 inch squares or bars.
- If you don't have a dairy allergy, you can use regular butter and canned condensed milk.
- I named these bars but actually cut them into squares! Bar shape works well for these too!